2022 Walk to Defeat ALS – Join Us In the Fight!
For the 7th year in a row, DeVol Design.Build.Remodel is sponsoring a team for the Walk to Defeat ALS.
For all these years, ALS has been a cause that is close to our hearts. We have helped so many clients over the years who have dealt with this debilitating disease. These are people we have come to love and have overwhelming compassion for, as ALS has affected their entire families.
None of our clients asked for this … they all fell victim to a disease, and that makes them lose their lives and livelihoods.
ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
”Amyotrophic” comes from the Greek language. “A” means no. “Myo” refers to muscle. “Trophic” means nourishment. So, amyotrophic means “no muscle nourishment,” and when a muscle has no nourishment, it “atrophies” or wastes away.
“Lateral” identifies the areas in a person’s spinal cord where portions of the nerve cells that signal and control the muscles are located.
As this area degenerates, it leads to scarring or hardening (“sclerosis”) in the region.
ALS takes away the ability to walk, dress, write, speak, swallow, and breathe.
2022 Walk to Defeat ALS – facts
- More than 6,000 people are diagnosed with ALS each year and nearly 20,000 Americans are living with ALS today.
- 90% of all cases of ALS are sporadic, meaning there is no family history of the disease.
- Every 90 minutes, someone is diagnosed with ALS. In the same period of time, someone will pass away from ALS.
- Veterans are twice as likely to get ALS.
- With every scientific advance, we get closer to the cure. This is a horrible and always fatal disease. With every scientific advance, we get closer to a cure as a global community.
Our commitment to ALS
ALS affects people right here in our community. We want to help. For that reason, we have created a team for the 7th year in a row to participate in the Walk to Defeat ALS.
If you feel so moved, please consider either joining our team or donating to the ALS Association. Your time and dollars make a difference to defeat this terrible disease.
2022 Walk to Defeat ALS info
This year’s Walk to Defeat ALS will be held Sunday, September 25, 2022.